Victor A. and Daisy A. Juarez Latino Scholarship
The Culturally Integrated Education for Latinos Organization (CIELO) awards as part of the Victor A. and Daisy A. Juarez Latino Scholarship program. We award three scholarships each year in the amount of $1500.00.
The successful applicant may use these funds for whatever education related expenses are deemed appropriate by the educational institution they attend. Funds are paid to the school in the student's name.
Letters announcing the award or denial of a scholarship are postmarked by August 16th each year to each applicant at the address listed on their application. All decisions by the Executive Board concerning application acceptance, rejection, award or the dollar amounts of the scholarships are final. PLEASE NOTE THAT WE HAVE CHANGED OUR APPLICATION DEADLINE TO MAY 15th EFFECTIVE IN 2013. See below for details.
- Be of Latino background (one parent must be full Latino or both parents must be at least half)
- Applicant must live within 60 miles of the city of Springfield, IL
- Minimum un-weighted grade point average (GPA) of 2.5 on a 4.00 scale
- Currently enrolled in or accepted to attend an accredited university, college, or trade school
- The main campus of the educational institution must be located in Sangamon County, Illinois, or applicant must be a member of CIELO, Inc. at the time of application submission
- All application materials must be typed or legibly written in English
- Each person is eligible to receive a scholarship from this program only once in a lifetime
Please note that an applicant attending an educational institution whose main campus is located within Sangamon County, Illinois does NOT need to be a member of CIELO to quality. However, members of the CIELO organization are qualified for this scholarship to seek financial assist to attend an educational institution based outside of the Sangamon County, Illinois. Furthermore, membership in the CIELO organization does not impact favorably or negatively the scholarship selection committee's final review of the qualifying scholarship applications.
SELECTION: - Applications will be evaluated on the following criteria:
- 20% on perceived financial need
- 20% on academic achievement and an academic letter of recommendation
- 20% on applicant's personal essay
- 20% reported community involvement and/or extracurricular activities and letter of recommendation from teacher, clergy, or adult club leader on these activities
- 20% is based on any special circumstances of the applicant as perceived by individual members of the application review committee
Special Note: The academic and community, civic, and/or athletic activities letters of recommendation contribute significantly to the application's assessment and final rating. The evaluation committee requires separate letters of recommendation to meet these two requirements. Furthermore, involvement in your community is highly valued by the review committee so please explain fully.
APPLICATION PACKAGE MUST INCLUDE:
- A complete and signed application (The application form may be photocopied)
- A copy of your transcripts
- A letter of academic recommendation on official letterhead
- A personal essay
- A list of your community, civic, and/or athletic activities, and
- A letter of recommendation on these activities
POSTMARK APPLICATION DEADLINE: Applications postmarked after June 25th, or received after June 30th, each year will not be accepted; no extension will be granted.
Mail your application to: VA&DAJ Latino Scholarship, 6101 Willow Springs Rd., Springfield, IL, 62712-9592.
We recommend that you obtain a copy of our scholarship application package for the most current and complete scholarship qualifications and application requirements.
Click here to be introduced to the wonderful people for whom this scholarship has been dedicated, Victor and Daisy Juarez.